Saturday, January 23, 2021

My favorite plant

 

I figured for my first blog post I should at least talk about something I enjoy. The image to the left is my Monstera Deliciosa, also known as a Swiss cheese plant. Although I have many plants, this plant in particular is the most rewarding to watch grow.

The picture to the left are the newest leaves. They are the only two on my entire plant to have that many fenestration holes. Once a Monstera reaches at least three feet, new leaves that appear will slowly start having fenstration holes. Good lighting helps too.

If anyone is interested in Monsteras or any plant, the best advice I have is to join Reddit groups that are plant oriented. Reddit groups always have a ton of people who are willing to help and give advice specific to a problem you're having. For example, I myself have submitted pictures of my plants when I'm not sure how to care for them. In return, the people of Reddit never fail to let me know their own tips and tricks to plant care.

The following links are the Reddit Threads I suggest following if you're interested in house plants or Monstera plant care.

Monstera Reddit Thread 

Indoor Garden Reddit Thread

12 comments:

  1. Favorite food, song, season, color, but a favorite plant?

    This is the first time I heard of a Swiss Cheese plant :-)

    One of your classmates is interested in horticulture too.

    Welcome to IS101-2003, Spring 2021 ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really cool you have a passion for plants and your Monstera deliciosa! It's probably a different aspect from your passion but, I have a small garden myself with some vegetables such as Swiss Char, tomato plant (with 3 almost ripe tomatoes and more flowering!) and some others. My main plant experience in plants is with aquatic plants. I have three aquariums with fish and 10 different species of aquatic plants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harley: My restaurant is full of plants that I am very afraid of killing - please send tips!

    Reddit. That's a world I never entered. The layout never caught my attention. Perhaps, I was too coddled with Tumblr. It's fascinating that you're interested in plants. Many people - probably like myself - think they simply make great décor. It's much greater than that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy to have found an experienced plant lover! I've had plants for a while but I was going back and forth with slowly killing and resurrecting them again (thankfully I've become a more dedicated plant mom). Then I went out and got a Tropical Bird of Paradise and have very little clue to what I'm doing with it, so thanks for the tips!

    One of my favorite math instructors, Mr. Gu would call all the students Swiss Cheese cause everyone's imperfect. That brought back memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if your plant will taste like Swiss cheese cause that would be so cool. Imagine burning the plants and the smoke smell like cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire passion for plants that is very interesting.I have also wanted to start a garden with different plants.Maybe some day I will get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's cool that you have an admiration and passion for plants. Though I don't particularly have an admiration for plants specifically, I enjoy being around nature, trees, grass, and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, well that was informative about you. Interesting introduction. I have actually wanted to begin gardening, as it seems like it would be refreshing to look at and rewarding growing plants. Reddit can be a bit of a ridiculous place, but some subreddits seem pretty helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never really been a plant person but after reading all of that I am definitely going to look into them more. Could be good information to know later, you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Professor Wu I've never heard of a favorite plant, but I appreciate the uniqueness of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a beautiful plant. I liked the picture as the background of your blog page but did not know you plant it yourself. Great passion! You made me want a Swiss cheese now:) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know I've seen plants like these around but I never knew the name, and I definitely think these are some of the prettiest leaves I ever have seen.

    ReplyDelete