Saturday, March 27, 2021

One day it'll make sense


A couple years ago I made the decision to take more pictures. Not just take pictures of what I'm eating, or a cool place I'm at, but to take pictures of important moments and print them. It all started when I was going through my moms photo albums looking for a picture of my dad with a mullet. Doing so, I realized that I don't want to not be able to look back on my life. I would hate for everything to be stored on a phone and have nothing physical. I love looking at pictures with my mom and seeing how different things were.

When I first started I remember going to Target for a photo album and asking an employee where they were at and he said they only had one option because people just don't print photos anymore. As of right now I almost have 2 whole photo albums full. I know doing this isn't for everyone, but I do suggest it. I always say if you keep something long enough it becomes vintage, and one day someone might say "look at these photos from the last century!"

I get all of my film developed at a family ran store called "Photo Shack" right by UNLV. It costs slightly more than doing it at Costco or Walmart but I like supporting a local company. 

A lot of the pictures I take don't all make sense, but they aren't supposed to. To me they make sense, and one day it'll all just be another memory. Who knows maybe one day far from now, my kids will be looking through my photo album looking for a picture of their mom surviving 2020, or the time she was a Lifeguard one summer. You never know.





6 comments:

  1. True, one day the context of the photo may be forgotten but it would fun trying to recall or explain it ^_^

    You rock for willing to pay a little more to support a family ran store!

    I think physical photos and photo albums still have values in today's increasing digital world :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this concept. I have a had a photo album on my iPhone labeled "To Print" and have yet done anything with it. It's so sweet. When my baby sister was born, we had a newer (at the time, of course) digital camera and would store everything on a computer. I feel kind of sad that we didn't print those photos and I can't even tell you that I remember the password to that computer. However, my stepdad - a man born in the 40's - is beginning to actually TOSS OUT his photo albums. He has no children, no surviving family members, and was an only child. It leads my mom to wonder about what it means to hold onto things such as pictures. Will someone even want them one day? It's so cyclical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when we used to use the instant Polaroid cameras you had an instant picture right then and there. Keeping photos are good memories one should have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really neat. I personally find taking picture a hassle and I never like the way I look. I'll take a million photo and only find 1 decent photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't take many photos in general, I've had my phone for many years but only have 100-200 photos stored. I have some photo albums in my house and it's nice to look back at it every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rarely use my phone camera, I have maybe less than 5 photos and videos of myself. I also never take pictures of scenery and things when on vacations. The only pictures I take are usually important things or things related to school.

    ReplyDelete